Wild Blueberry Baked Oatmeal Bars
Recipe by Brooke Mohlenhoff for Wyman’s
• 3 cups old fashioned oats
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 3/4 cup milk
• 2 whole eggs
• 4 tbsp butter, melted
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 cups frozen Wyman’s Wild Blueberries
• zest of 1/2 lemon
• coarse sugar (like turbinado) for sprinkling
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9” square baking dish with parchment paper (see note below)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and eggs.
- After the melted butter has cooled, add it to the milk and egg mixture. Combining it with the eggs after it’s slightly cooled helps to prevent the eggs from cooking prematurely.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour in wild blueberries, lemon zest and the walnuts (optional).
- Carefully fold the wild blueberries into the oatmeal mixture. Folding gently will help to not color the entire mixture blue.
- Carefully pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top of the mixture with turbinado sugar (optional) to create a slight crust upon baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes (see note below)
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes to allow bake to set properly.
- Cut the bake into squares and serve.
- Can use a different size baking dish if desired, altering the baking time appropriately based on thickness of oatmeal mixture (larger baking dish requiring less baking time)
- If top of bake is browning too quickly, cover with a piece of aluminum foil for the remainder of baking time.