Mixed Berry Galette
Recipe by Brooke Mohlenhoff for Wyman’s
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled & diced
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 4 cups frozen Wyman’s Mixed Berries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse sugar (like turbinado) sprinkling
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Work in diced, cold butter with a pastry cutter, or clean hands, until mixture is crumbly and holds its shape when squeeze in palm.
- Pour in cold water and mix until dough forms.
- Work into a ball and cover in plastic wrap.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the frozen mixed berries to thaw.
- When berries are thawed, add in the sugar, lemon juice and zest.
- Mixing occasionally, simmer for 5-10 minutes or until small bubbles start to form on the surface.
- Spoon out 1/4 cup of the berry mixture into a small bowl. Add to it the cornstarch and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add this cornstarch mixture back to the saucepan.
- Stir until thickened (about 2-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Set aside and allow to slightly cool while prepping the galette crust.
- Take chilled dough out of fridge and place on a clean, floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to ~1/8 inch thick circle. Transfer to a large baking sheet or stone topped with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the almond flour on the top of the galette, leaving a 2 inch border from edges. This is to help keep the crust flaky and not absorb too much liquid from the berry mixture.
- Pour the berry mixture evenly on top of the galette, leaving a 2 inch border from edges.
- Fold over the outer edge of dough onto the berry mixture.
- Brush the dough border with beaten egg and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until dough has browned.
- Allow the galette to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.